Self-Paced Course: Practices in Personalized, Proficiency-Based Learning
- Section 1: Flexible Pathways
- Section 2: Personalized Learning Plans
- Section 3: Student Agency
- Section 4: Portfolios
- Section 5: Student-Designed Learning Projects
- Section 6: Student-Led Conferences
- To provide an overview of a set of key practices in personalized, proficiency-based learning.
- To invite reflection and discussion about considerations for key practices in personalized, proficiency-based learning.
- To provide examples and opportunities to engage with key practices in personalized, proficiency-based learning.
Educator Proficiencies Addressed by this Course
The Vermont Guidelines for Teacher & Leader Effectiveness includes a set of nine principles for effective evaluation, a general evaluation framework, samples of frameworks being used around the nation, evaluation standards for principals and teachers, levels of performance, a description of the evaluation cycle, and guidelines for implementation. The report presents an explanation and discussion of multiple indicators, as well as information about developing and supporting teachers and leaders through mentoring and peer assistance.
Vermont Teacher Performance Indicators
- Content: A teacher has a deep and flexible understanding of content area(s) and draws upon knowledge to assure learner mastery.
- Instructional Practice: A teacher understands and integrates assessment, planning, and instructional strategies to support student learning.
Vermont Principal Performance Indicators
- Vision, Mission and Goals: A principal creates conditions that enable schools to build on their core values and beliefs.
- Teaching and Learning: A principal sets high expectations and standards for the academic, social, emotional and physical development of all students and for staff professional growth.